Friday, November 5, 2010

Overview

Today was my first day at a school. In London. By myself. I'm sure you can all guess how it went. I managed to keep my cool and not scream at the children but OMG was I ever tempted to. I have to tell someone and since certain people are not home when I think they should be or on Skype when I think they should be, you get to hear first! (Just fyi-the when I think they should be part is me thinking we are in the same time zones when we aren't.) I'm taking it as a learning experience. The kids weren't horrible horrible, just horrible. If that makes sense.

So here was my day in a nutshell!

Pros:
  • All my students called me Miss and I loved it!
  • When they listened they did well
  • A little girl made me a picture, which I then left at the school! SHOOT!
  • Nicole and Danielle were with me in the same school so I wasn't completely by myself.
  • Nicole also had a class from hell.
  • The aides, one in particular was very helpful and I am very grateful, Thanks Irene! (Cuz you know she's going to read this)
  • There were only two instances of physical violence (A boy punched a girl in the stomach right after coming in from recess and another boy smacked a different boy on the head with his bookbag)
  • The teacher from next door came over and talked to me which was nice
  • I got to teach about circuits! I like teaching!
  • I got to walk to the school
Middle:
  • I was told they were a good class, which made me feel really bad about my teaching abilities then I was told at the end of the day that they were awful
Cons:
  • I've never had to yell at a class that much EVER!
  • Every time they listened when I asked them to stop talking, they started up again!
  • I had to repeat myself six hundred times
  • I tried reading them a book to bribe them into behaving and they just went right back to being loud and noisy and rude.
  • School got out at 3:10, I didn't leave school till 4:15 because of all the marking I had to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment