Thursday, November 18, 2010

Colds…yuck

Wednesday night, NDI & Stephanie went into Romford for a Harry Potter look-alike contest/Christmas thing.  It was a lot more fun than I was expecting.  We sang along to some Christmas songs(Still too early by the way) and Santa showed up with Jack Frost, Frosty, Rudolph and his son.  It was entertaining. We also bought our tickets for Harry Potter 7 part 1!!!! Very exciting.

The past two days, I’ve been in reception which is like nursery school at home. It was very fun.  Although I had a few trouble makers, one pulled his pants and underwear down while on the playground. Thankfully,I wasn’t there so I only had to discipline him afterwards. I don’t quite think he understood why what he did was wrong. He kept telling me he did it because people were laughing. Failure.

I also saw my Year 1’s from last week. Remember them, the ones that I spent most of my time yelling at? They LOVE me. They all wanted to get my attention and called me over while we were watching the kids eat in the lunch hall.  It was cute.

Also, as the title of this blog says, I’ve been sick for oh about the past week.  I’m starting to get better but I’ve had a hacking cough for the past couple of days. Of course, since I didn’t think to buy any cough medicine and it’s not like you can just walk to the nearest store and buy some (you have to go to a chemist/pharmacist) I had to suffer. I finally got to sleep around 1.  What happens at 4:30 in the morning? You guessed it! A FIRE ALARM! We all tromped outside and complained for about ten minutes then got the all clear to go back inside. 5 o’clock comes around and I’ve just fallen back asleep again and what happens AGAIN!?  A FIRE ALARM! Ugh.  This time some people just sat inside the front hall way as Jim had said it was just a faulty wire thing.  A couple of people and I hung out outside until four people behind us started smoking.  When we walked in, Stephanie remarked that it looked like a refugee camp because the clothes everyone was wearing was such a stark contrast to what we were used to seeing people in and everyone was sitting slumped against the wall.  I went back inside to fall asleep for an hour and a half more and then had to get up. Not fun.

This afternoon, while eating lunch, I was putting crackers into my Chicken Soup and I got the weirdest looks.  My TA said, “Oh, I’ve never thought of doing that! I’ve done bread before in my soup but not crackers!”  Another woman asked, “Oh is that an American thing?”  To which she was quickly told that was not polite and PC to ask about. I told them I supposed so but I thought everyone did it. A quick check when I got back to Butler Court (BC) told me that most Americans and Canadians did it too.

Two more things before I go.  One is that my TA who was a lovely, very helpful woman, mentioned something to me about that nice blonde girl from Kanaidia.  No joke that was the pronunciation.  And also, we had a meeting tonight and we are now allowed to put in a request for a phone line to be put in our room and POSSIBLY get wireless internet in our rooms! How exciting!

Tirrah!

1 comment:

  1. SANTA! OH MY GOD! SANTA'S COMING! I KNOW HIM! I KNOW HIM!

    ReplyDelete