Thursday, August 9, 2012

Kensington Palace with Liz

Yesterday I was excited because I go to go to Kensington Palace with my friend Liz.  We met up at Barking Station, where I was late, as usual!  But luckily, she decided to wait for me. 

We went to Kensington High Street and walked through the garden and had some lunch.  Then we explored the Palace.  Must say, as far as Palaces go, this one did NOT look like a Palace!

041

Kensington Palace from the back(?)

 

007

First thing you see when you go into Kensington Palace is this room bathed in blue lights.  It’s quite pretty!

005

So of course Liz and I had to go and be silly by hiding behind the blue lights.  Can you see her?

039

Or me? Hiding quite cleverly!

 

In Kensington Palace, they had four exhibits.  Princess Diana’s dresses, Queen Victoria’s Jubilee celebration, Victoria Revealed, and a visit to the King’s and Queen’s apartments.  They all were through a different doorway which I thought was quite cool!

008

Our first trip was to see Queen Victoria’s Jubilee celebrations. 

009

I loved this! Although, on my first attempt to take this picture, I startled some old man.  I spared you that picture.

011

We also played hide and seek here.  Can you find Liz?

012

This room was amazing!  It had wooden displays of different London buildings and the floor was a map of economic differences in London at the time of her Jubilee.  Of course, B&D wasn’t on there, but it was fun all the same.

014

In this room, they had a video of the crowd at Victoria’s Jubilee parade and you could go stand in between the fabric and pretend you were a part of the crowd.

015

The floor said, “Come in and join the crowd.”  So I did, I waved and cheered as Victoria went by.

016

This was a dress worn by a rich lady to Victoria’s Jubilee dinner.  It was gorgeous and very expensive!

018

Just to show how much she changed.

019

In one room, you could write postcards to Queen Victoria telling her why you came to her Jubilee.

 

After we were done with that exhibit, we went into the King and Queen’s apartments.  They had some playing cards on the wall that I thought were quite cool. 

020021022

This was on the way to the King’s apartments, it showed how they booted one king out and gave the kingdom to another.

023

The rooms in this area were creepy!  They had audio recordings that made it sound as though the walls were whispering to you. 

 

026

I sat in a cool chair under a canopy.  This was to show a video of the prince’s dreams.

028

Cool chair.

029

This is what I want the ceiling in my house to look like!

031

I own this dress, I had to leave it in the US though because it wouldn’t fit in my suitcase!

 

We then went to explore Victoria Revealed which was nifty. 

035

And of course, I got dressed up! Don’t I look good?

036

Queen Victoria’s wedding dress.

038

Even the toilets are for royalty!

040

Gorgeous garden!

 

After, Liz and I went to Hyde Park and walked around sitting in the shade at some points because it was really warm!  Then, I went to Paula’s house for a lovely movie evening and a chance to say goodbye to Fay.  All in all, it was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment