Friday, April 8, 2011

School’s OUT!

So yesterday was my last day of work for the next 18 days. Why you ask?  Well the British believe in taking very loooong breaks.  And it’s the end of term, and Easter Holiday.  Oh, and did I mention?  That when I get back on a Tuesday, I only have to work till Thursday because of the Royal wedding?! Ha yes, that’s right, I even get a four day weekend as a result of that.  This month is crazy!

Let me just catch you up on some of my students and what they’ve been up to.

I have been having an interesting time with a few of my students. I have two students who have the same name and their poor choices and rebellious streak must be property of the name.  I had them in during lunch for the last two weeks or so because they cannot remember to do their homework. 

One of the boys has not had his homework done in the entire time we’ve been meeting.  He had to have a talk with the Deputy Head, his mother and his teacher.  For some reason, I was excluded from this but whatever.  One day two weeks ago, I went to go get the boy when he was supposed to be in my room after eating, and he went and stood on a toilet in the bathroom for 24 minutes! He wasted his entire outdoor time standing on a toilet.  He wouldn’t come down even after lunch was over.  As a result, he got yelled at by not one, not two, but three teachers out in the hallway.  Myself being one of them.  And then he got spoken to by the deputy head and his teacher.  I just told him he was making himself look ridiculous and that from now on, when I had to have him come to my room during lunch time, I would personally pick him up, eat with him in the cafeteria and walk him up to the room myself.  I actually had to do this and then I think he got the hint.  Because this week! he had his homework done on MONDAY!!! (We don’t meet till Tuesday!)

Then there is another boy who is in year 5 and he has switched classes 3 times guess who gets to tutor him? Oh yeah, that’s right I do!  He has been a little stinker lately when he started out a just a little lazy.  I had him in my room last week during lunch and then kept him in after lunch when his class was going to P.E. I’m not as mean as I sound.  I just didn’t think it was fair that he got to go to gym and have fun when he stayed in and did nothing when he stayed with me.  So he stayed in during P.E. disrupted our tutoring sessions and finally, about an hour later, I took him back to his classroom to see if they were back from P.E. yet.  The whole class was changed and sitting down nicely in the middle of doing something else! The teacher never came to get him back and didn’t care!  He tried walking away and I said to him, “Nope, tell your teacher how you’ve been acting.”  He muttered that he had been acting silly and his teacher yelled at him and that he was now going to the head teacher’s office.

This is apparently a HUGE deal in this school because this is just not how discipline is handled.  So I took him down to the H.T.’s office and he came back about 20 minutes later with the Deputy Head who is wonderful.  The D.H. sat with him until the end of the day making sure he wrote his homework.  Which by the way, he still didn’t get done!

Oh well, all I can say is THANK GOD IT’S BREAK!

No comments:

Post a Comment