On Tuesday, Danielle and I went into London with the intent of going to St. Paul’s as we had free passes from our wonderful friends Jen and Brandy! (Thanks Jen!) On our way, we went to the Tate Modern. UGH! It was horrible. I cannot believe some of the stuff that was put in there and called art. I get that art is all about the artist’s deeper meaning and such but really….let’s explore some of their great works of art on display shall we?
This one said, “SANTA CLAUS IS NOT EVIL. THERE IS NO NEED TO DEFEND MYSELF AGAINST HIM.” Over and over and over again. AND IT WAS ART!
This one is Santa’s list of good and naughty children….again THIS IS ART!
Okay, these I can understand a bit. They were under the heading of “Dark Humour” and contained a bit of artistic skill. And by a bit I mean I could never ever do this in my life.
Also, this one made me think of The Face of Boe, the Early Years. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, Google it or move on. :)
Then there was this one, with tree people. Did Russell T. Davies come here whilst planning Doctor Who?
This one is Just. Plain. Weird.
Warning, the one below is not safe for little kiddies.
This one has women having SEX with giraffes! WTF?!
Now safe for little kiddies :)
DRUM ROLL PLEASE!
It’s now time for my LEAST FAVOURITE, MOST RIDICILOUS PIECE OF ART EVER!
IT’S A F*ING MIRROR!
(“What kind of mirror Rachel?” “It’s an f’ing mirror Dad.” Aren’t you glad we can still interact through the internet?)
No joke, this was entered into the museum AS A PIECE OF ART WORK! The sign next to it read:
Untitled Painting 1965
Mirror on Canvas
Since the Renaissance, painting has often been likened as a window upon the world, with the central perspective giving the viewer a sense of surveying what is contained within the picture frame. In a bold gesture, Art & Language turn this century-old convention upside-down by replacing the painting’s surface with a mirror. Rather than look at an image of the artist’s making, viewers are now confronted by themselves, thereby questioning a long-held notion of painting transcending reality.
This “artwork” wins the greatest BS award from me. I could not believe that this was in a museum, other than in a bathroom of course.
Then, thank God, we went to St. Paul’s. GORGEOUS! If you ever go to London, PLEASE go visit St. Paul’s. You weren’t allowed to take photos and I snuck a few of them in but they won’t show you how utterly pretty it is there.
St. Paul’s from the outside.
The view from the inside
The dome
360 view from the altar.
So, St. Paul’s is pretty awesome because you can climb to the top. There are four levels, the crypt with all the tombs, the Cathedral floor, the Whispering Gallery (257 steps), the Stone Gallery (376 steps) and the Golden Gallery (528). We climbed al the way up to the top.
View from the very top of the front of the church.
There was a hole in the floor on our way up, it went all the way down to the church below.
That brown square? Yeah, that’s the altar.
View from the very top.
Me on the Stone Gallery level.
Danielle and I at the Golden Gallery.
When we got down, we had to rest because our legs were shaky. Also, we were there for an hourly prayer, it was pretty nifty.
No comments:
Post a Comment